i have spent the past 3 days searching for the perfect romantic and beachy getaway (aka babymoon) and i am at a total loss. ok, so… there are worst problems to have i realize, but why is this so difficult?
actually, i can tell you a couple reasons why…
- we want to go somewhere that is not too far and ideally without connecting flights
- we are traveling in the off season… and it is hurricane season
- we want beautiful beaches, but a little bit of culture… shopping, markets, etc.
- we want there to be delicious food
- we want the hotel to be a little luxurious, but not in an obnoxious way
oh, and i almost forgot, i want it to be easy!
i have spent so much time on expedia, orbitz, travel and leisure, orbitz and trip advisor that i think i could name all the caribbean islands and their airport codes by now. i even decided to go off the digital realm and visit the bookstore and look at travel books–a novel idea nowadays. i am somehow no closer to booking travel now then i was the day we decided to take a trip. part of my problem is that i am not a “beach vacation” traveler. if i had my way we would be driving along the winding roads of the amalfi coastline or walking along the seine in paris, but i am determined to take an easy, relaxing vacation. i could probably plan a european itinerary for 30 days better than i can plan a 5 day caribbean getaway.
so, i decided, maybe some of you would have some insight? so far i have narrowed it down to the following 4:
- bermuda – mostly because it is only 2 hours from nyc and i hear it is beautiful, however, i am worried about the food.
- harbour island, bahamas – i have always wanted to go here, downside is it requires 2 plane rides and a ferry… but maybe a small price to pay to get to paradise?
- tulum – we went here on our last babymoon before hayden was born and loved it so i thought if all else fails, why not go back?
- turks & caicos – the beaches are supposed to be incredible and there are beautiful resorts. i do not believe there is a lot of “culture” on the island… it is more about sleeping on the beach or boating/snorkeling.
if you had 5 days to getaway, where would you go? we would love your recommendations! xx