i have been on a major reading kick this summer… i have always considered myself a reader, i don’t think i have read with this much fervor since i was young. maybe it is just a summer thing, but i hope to keep this as a steady habit. i mostly read on my kindle app simply because it makes my life so much easier–whether reading on my ipad while on the subway commute or on my iphone while standing in line for a coffee, i am fully entertained and enthralled in my stories.
i have really fond memories of my mother reading to me throughout my childhood and i hope that alexa and hayden will remember that about me as well. every night before bedtime we snuggle up on alexa’s bed and they both choose a book to read. we have so many books, but they of course insist upon reading the same books over and over again. luckily this repetitive series breaks every now and then and we start with a new favorite that i soon learn by heart. sometimes i even ask them if i can pick, but i am normally shot down. the current books on repeat are:
- talulah’s tutu: a charming story about a young ballerina dreaming of her first tutu (obviously this is one of alexa’s picks)
- dragons love tacos: this is a fun and quirky book that makes both the little ones giggle… i mean, every kid would laugh at a dragon burping!
- the watermelon seed: i love the simple, graphic and colorful illustrations in this book. i act out the lines in the book with lots of emotion and the little ones love it (probably mostly because i look ridiculous or silly)
my reading list is getting quite long, but these are 3 of my top picks:
- where’d you go bernadette: i have heard great things about this book and after reading just the first page i was already hooked.
- the cuckoo’s calling: i just finished this and i absolutely loved it. the book is written by j.k. rowling (under the pen name robert galbraith), and her art of storytelling does not disappoint. i am normally not a murder mystery/crime novel reader, but this may have converted me. it was a thoroughly entertaining read – i hope she has more to come.
- the bone season: if some of you don’t know, i am total pop culture book addict. hunger games, twilight, harry potter, etc… i can’t get enough. the bone season, written by samantha shannon, has just hit the shelves and the acclaim is building… the next j.k. rowling they say… not sure if rowling could ever be replicated, but i intend to find out.