travel tuesdays is becoming one of my favorite columns… it is also adding a lot of vacation spots to my bucket list. a friend of mine recently went to turkey and i followed her journey on instagram and was completely enchanted. i told her she had to give me the inside scoop so that i could be sure to add it to my list of travel spots with the little ones. enjoy her photos and tips for traveling in turkey!
A NOTE FROM ASHLEY:
Simon, Annabel and I just returned from a trip to Turkey with good friends (who also have an almost 2 year old) which proved to be one of the most incredible and beautiful vacations of all time. We stayed at a picturesque villa perched on a hillside in Turkbuku overlooking the Aegean Sea on the Bodrum Peninsula. We spent our days at Macakizi sunning on the beautiful docks that jet over the azure waters, swimming and chasing our little ones. The 90 degree heat was hardly apparent with the constant refreshing breezes. The days quickly turned into perfect sun-drenched summer evenings sipping cocktails still in our bathing suits – hearing the call to prayer in the distant hills. It was certainly also an inspiring trip with the vibrant colors of the bougainvillea and sea and the rusty colors of the native pottery and striking ikats (see below). Stay tuned for the next collection! Check out some of my favorite shots from the trip. – Ashley Dodgen-McCormick
A little inside scoop about Ashley: Ashley is the owner of ASHA, a beautiful line of jewelry based here in New York. Her line of jewelry incorporates semiprecious stones, natural materials, and sterling silver dipped in 14K yellow and white gold. Her designs are influenced by her travels around the world… her designs are reflect architectural motifs and vintage pieces found throughout her travels. My favorite pieces from her collections are the zodiac charms. I have a pendant necklace with zodiac charms for me and the little ones–two cancers and one aries!
i have spent the past 3 days searching for the perfect romantic and beachy getaway (aka babymoon) and i am at a total loss. ok, so… there are worst problems to have i realize, but why is this so difficult?
actually, i can tell you a couple reasons why…
- we want to go somewhere that is not too far and ideally without connecting flights
- we are traveling in the off season… and it is hurricane season
- we want beautiful beaches, but a little bit of culture… shopping, markets, etc.
- we want there to be delicious food
- we want the hotel to be a little luxurious, but not in an obnoxious way
oh, and i almost forgot, i want it to be easy!
i have spent so much time on expedia, orbitz, travel and leisure, orbitz and trip advisor that i think i could name all the caribbean islands and their airport codes by now. i even decided to go off the digital realm and visit the bookstore and look at travel books–a novel idea nowadays. i am somehow no closer to booking travel now then i was the day we decided to take a trip. part of my problem is that i am not a “beach vacation” traveler. if i had my way we would be driving along the winding roads of the amalfi coastline or walking along the seine in paris, but i am determined to take an easy, relaxing vacation. i could probably plan a european itinerary for 30 days better than i can plan a 5 day caribbean getaway.
so, i decided, maybe some of you would have some insight? so far i have narrowed it down to the following 4:
- bermuda – mostly because it is only 2 hours from nyc and i hear it is beautiful, however, i am worried about the food.
- harbour island, bahamas – i have always wanted to go here, downside is it requires 2 plane rides and a ferry… but maybe a small price to pay to get to paradise?
- tulum – we went here on our last babymoon before hayden was born and loved it so i thought if all else fails, why not go back?
- turks & caicos – the beaches are supposed to be incredible and there are beautiful resorts. i do not believe there is a lot of “culture” on the island… it is more about sleeping on the beach or boating/snorkeling.
if you had 5 days to getaway, where would you go? we would love your recommendations! xx